Couple of portal lions are standing near Yeniköy village of Darende and referred locally as Aslan Taşlar (Lion Stones). They were first reported in 1858 and are apparently standing in situ although there is no trace of a building or gate. Badly weathered lions have no inscriptions, however, based on the style they are estimated to be from 12th or 11th c. BCE. A very similar portal lion was found in nearby Sevdili village which is now in Kahramanmaraş Museum.
Click on pictures for a larger image.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, de Gruyter, 2000: 329.
Meriggi, P. "Quinto viaggio anatolico," OA 5, 1966: 7273 and plts. XIX-XX.
Özgüç, T. and N. Özgüç. Ausgrabungen in Karahöyük: Bericht über die im Auftrage der türkischen Geschichts-Komission in 1947
durchgeführten Ausgrabungen, TTK Yayınları V. Seri No.7. Ankara, 1949: 11-15 and figs. 16-17.
Bora Bilgin, Ertuğrul Anıl, Ercüment Süer, Cüneyt Süer, 2011
J. H. Haynes, 1881/2, Harvard University Library