Göllüdağ is a large fortified mountain top (2172 m.) settlement of Neo-Hittite period. It is near the village of Kömürcü in Gölcük, Niğde. The settlement dates to the end of 8th century BCE. The ruins are located right next to the crater lake of the inactive volcano. Two large portal lions, known as the Göllüdağ Lions, were found at the south gate of a 112x228 meters sized building that is thought to be the palace. The lions are currently in the Kayseri Museum. Another portal lion and a couple of unfinished sphixes from Göllüdağ are in the Niğde Museum. Göllüdağ excavations were initially made by Remzi Oğuz Arık in 1934. Further excavations were carried out by Burhan Tezcan in 1968-69 and Wolfgang Schirmer in 1992-94.
Click on pictures for a larger image.
Google Maps, 2017.
Ignacio Sebastian, 2010
Tayfun Bilgin, 2006, 2017
Bora Bilgin, 2017