Basalt stele with a round top and back was first noticed by Garstang and Wilkin around 1911 in a mill at Hacıbebekli village south of Maraş (today Hacıbebek village of Türkoğlu in Kahramanmaraş) and in 1932 it was brought to the Adana Museum. It may have originated from Çoban Höyük which lies about a kilometer to the northeast of the village. Stele is about 1.20 m in height, 0.65 m in width and 0.34 m in thickness. On the front surface under a winged sun disk is depicted the Tutelary deity standing on a stag (see Altınyayla, Karasu, Gölpınar). On the back side is a five-line Luwian inscription although currently in unreadable condition. Stylistically it has been dated to the early 9th century BCE. The stele is currently in the Adana Museum.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin: Walter de Gruyter, 2000: 277 and plt. 129.
Hellenkemper, H. and J. Wagner, "The God on the Stag: A Late Hittite Rock-Relief on the River Karasu," Anatolian Studies 27, 1977: 16773.
Orthmann, W. Untersuchungen zur späthethitischen Kunst, Bonn, 1971: 90, 258-261, 360, 484.
Tayfun Bilgin, 2017.