A double-bull base and a portal bull was brought to the Şanlıurfa museum in 1959 from the village of Edene (now Gürpınar) in the Kabahaydar township of Şanlıurfa province. They were found during the landscaping of a recreational area to the east of the village by the Colap Creek. According to the villagers further stones found in the area had been cut and reused in constructions. The double-bull base is carved of a basalt block and once must have been supported a statue. It is 120 cm in length, 84 cm in width, and about 60 cm in height. Approximately dated to the end of the 10th century BCE.
The portal bull belongs to the right wing of a gateway. The legs of the bull are broken and the present piece is about 150 cm in length, 34 cm in width, and 60 cm in height. Stylistically is has been dated later than the double-bull base to the end of the 8th century BCE. Both items are on display in the Şanlıurfa Museum.
Click on the picture for a larger image.
Kulakoğlu, F. "Late-Hittite Sculptures from the Şanlıurfa Region," BMECCJ XII, 1999: 16781.
Kulakoğlu, F. "Şanlıurfa'da Son Yıllarda Keşfedilen Geç Hitit Heykeltraşlık Merkezleri ve Eserleri," 2002 Yılı AMM Konferansları, 2003: 6587.
(List of Abbreviations)
Tayfun Bilgin, 2017.
Bora Bilgin, 2017.
Ertuğrul Anıl, 2017.
Fikri Kulakoğlu, 1999.