Main Page


The lower part of a statue inscribed on one side with Luwian hieroglyphic inscription was found near the Palanga village of Malatya. It was first reported in 1891 and was moved to Istanbul around 1900. Largely worn out 5-line inscription is dedication of a funerary statue by a local ruler with the title of "River Lord" (FLUMEN.DOMINUS) and preserves references to a king. Preserved section is 1.30 meters in height. A date around the 8th century BCE has been suggested. Currently in the Museum of Ancient Orient in Istanbul.

Click on the pictures for larger images.

K. Bittel, 1976 B. Bilgin, 2006 B. Bilgin, 2006 B. Bilgin, 2006 B. Bilgin, 2011 B. Bilgin, 2006 B. Bilgin, 2011 J. D. Hawkins, 2000

Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, 2000: 325–27 and plts. 161–62.

Image sources:
Kurt Bittel, Die Hethiter, München, 1976.
Bora Bilgin, 2006, 2011.
J. David Hawkins, 2000.