The stele was found in 1931 by Ali Rıza Yalgın near the Çağdın village (now Çaybaşı) which is about 13 km southeast of Gaziantep. In 1937 it was transferred to Adana. The relief is carved on a basalt block and it is about 1.4 meter in height and 0.63 meter in width. It has a relief of the Storm-God wearing a horned hat and short tunic. The four-sign Hieroglyphic Luwian inscription to the right of the figure is read (DEUS)TONITRUS TONITRUS(URBS), Storm-God of the city of the Storm-God. What city is meant by "the city of the Storm-God" is unclear. The suggestion to read it as Tarhuntassa remains doubtful due to geographical distance to the likely location of that city at south-central Anatolia. The stele is dated roughly to the 14th to 13th century BCE. Currently in the Adana Museum.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Bittel K. and Schneider A. M. "Archäologische Funde aus der Türkei im Jahre 1939," Jahrbuch des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts 55 1940: 55496 (56667 and Fig. 4).
Bossert, H. Th. "Zu den Tafeln V-XVI," Jahrbuch für kleinasiatische Forschung 2 1952-53: 10612 and plate VXVI (107-8 and pl. V).
Güterbock, H. G. "Eski ve yeni Eti abideleri - Alte und neue hethitische Denkmäler," in Halil Edhem Hatıra Kitabı, Vol. 1, 1947: 4870.
Hawkins, J. D. "What does the Hittite Storm-God Hold?" Natural Phenomena, 1992: 5382 (67 ve levha IV).
Kurt Bittel, Die Hethiter, München 1976.
Tayfun Bilgin, 2017.