The hieroglyphic Luwian inscriptions are carved on the face of the great granite cliffs at the mouth of a gorge in the Suğul valley to the west of the town of Gürün (ancient Tegarama), in Sivas province. It was first reported by Sir Charles Wilson in 1879. There are two separate inscriptions. The upper, larger inscription has six lines and the lower inscription has four lines. They are the duplicates of the same text. Although both are worn out quite a bit, the larger inscription is the better preserved of the two. It is a record of a settlement by Runtiya, King of Malatya (Malizi), who traces himself to a grandfather, Kuzi-Teshub, known as the "Hero of Kargamış". It is very similar to the Kötükale inscription. The dating based on Kuzi-Teshup places the monument to 12th century BCE however the style of the script points to a later period around 11th or 10th century BCE.
Click on the pictures for larger images.
Hawkins, J. D. Corpus of Hieroglyphic Luwian Inscriptions, Vol 1, Berlin, 2000: 29599 and plts. 13538.
Bora Bilgin, 2011.
J. David Hawkins, 2000.